Saturday, February 20, 2016

Terrariums - mini greenhouse



I am totally smitten with the arrangement of terrariums. I visited H J Benken here in Cincinnati and was very impressed to see the plants and succulents being grown indoors. I came back home with a fern and a pink polka dot plant (Hypoestes). I remember purchasing Hanging Succulent Terrarium Kit in California about 3 years ago in a farmer's market. I used to spray water once a week and after 6 months all the residents inside it died. I even tossed the air plant thinking it was a weed!!! I had this unused terrarium laying back on my bird feeder pole for few months now. I cleaned up and stuffed few pebbles (available at Joann/Pier 1 imports for $5 for a half pound bag) inside for water to drain. Many on the net suggested adding potting mix (Miracle Gro Moisture Control - available in most of the nurseries) with activated charcoal but I skipped charcoal. Later found out that the charcoal is needed only for the terrariums with lids. I spray filtered water once in 3-4 days. You could jazz it up with cute little figurines. I found many at Joann stores.



Terrariums are very easy to grow and care. These don't need too much attention. Anyone who has no time to care for plants indoors or out can easily maintain a terrariums.




Well, now the terrarium is hanging up on my kitchen skin!! Having done one, I was eager to assemble more so I used up my empty aquarium/fish bowls which were laying in basement.



I was keen on mixing succulents with greens but the staff suggested that water/light requirement are different for succulents and greens. So I got 5 more plants comprising Selaginella Kraussiana (golden spikemoss), Fittonia or Nerve Plant, Begonia, Polka Dot Plant and Spider Plant or Airplane Plant.



Spider Plant, Polka Dot and Begonia
Golden Spikemoss and Fittonia


  

1 comment: