Monday, April 4, 2016

Whelk Shell Planters

The thought of finding little treasures on the beach excites me. I can do hours of shelling!! My first shelling experience way back in 2013 was awesome on Sanibel Island in Florida, I had a huge collection of shells and whelks. Our recent trip to Outer Banks in North Carolina gave me ample opportunity to find some nice whelks and clam shells. I probably ended up walking several miles with my daughter (who only wanted to look for a sea glass) on those beaches. She was on a serious mission to find a Blackbeard's treasure!!
Pea Island Beach

Most of the homes in Outer Banks proudly displayed their finds in the yard. I was determined to find few for my yard too!! I was hell-bent on finding one complete lightning whelk. After hours of searching, I settled for few broken ones. Wanted a more artistic display of these huge whelks, so I went around looking for some perennial succulents to grow in them.




No comments:

Post a Comment