Thursday, July 28, 2016

Can you grow a Mango Tree?


I always believed that you can never get good mangoes here in the USA, until last year when I accidentally tasted a slice of Kent Mango at Whole Foods. I was looking for those mangoes here in Cincinnati and I was lucky last week to have spotted them at Pipkin's. Got home 10 of those as they were mature and inexpensive (2 for $1). As I was savoring each bite, an idea to grow my own Mango tree struck me!!! I had attempted to grow one last year but in vain. Had watched YouTube video on how a seed can be removed. Extreme caution needed as you insert knife to make a slit in the hard case. I gently opened two of those and buried them in a pot. It took one week to sprout.


Seed inside this hard case


Mango tree sapling
Mango tree sapling after 3 weeks

Have no clue how this plant will do in winter. I shall update this as and when possible with the progress. I happened to get a big piece of Jackfruit from local grocer this week and spotted 3 seeds that were already sprouted. They are buried in my plant pots!!

Jackfruit seed
Jackfruit sapling after 3 weeks

Make sure the seeds are placed horizontal on the soil bed. It is possible to grow a Mango tree but harvesting one is whole new ballgame, only time will tell.

Early Spring Update( Mar 2017 ): My Mango saplings did pretty good indoors in winter except they were dormant. One Jackfruit plant out of three survived winter!





No comments:

Post a Comment